Finance Officer Burundi
||Finance Officer Burundi
||9th of September 2019
||Full-time for 12 months with possibility of extension based on funds and performance;
The Finance Officer (FO) will be responsible for timely and accurate accounting, internal and external reporting and compliance with (donor) policies and requirements for all assigned projects in the region, and will work under the direct supervision of Country Manager Burundi and Regional Finance Manager. The FO will work closely with the RFM in Rwanda, and with other FO if needed. SPARK is looking for a FO whose personality fits with working in a transitional and therefore dynamic and changing environment.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Overall (financial) administration for the office and project activities;
- Monitoring and data entry of M&E systems;
- Monitoring of all financial agreements with local partners;
- Manage the office budget as well as other donor budgets implemented by the office in Burundi;
- Control payments, purchase authorizations and other financial transactions to ensure compliance with staff rules, financial rules and implementing instruments/authority;
- Train and coach local partner organisations in the improvement of their financial management systems;
- Be the main contact for financial matters to the finance department of SPARK in HQ in the Netherlands;
- Control and process financial reports of financial reports of local partners and ensure their timely transfer to SPARK HQ;
- Prepare monthly reports of the SPARK office in Burundi and Process all payments in the book keeping system;
- In close coordination with field offices and programme sections, maintain a system to monitor and forecast cash requirements to meet administrative and project expenditures;
- Constantly review banking arrangements to ensure timely transfer of funds and minimize exchange loses and bank charges;
- Advise the country manager on all budgetary and financial matters;
- Brief new staff members or staff assigned to the field on finance matters;
- In close coordination with field offices, coordinate replies to finance related audit comments;
- Supervise, train and coordinate the work of the finance and administration staff;
- Market development activitiesthat develop or contribute to the organization or a project;
- Other tasks as required.
Requirements and competencies
- 3-5 years at senior level in finance responsibilities for an International NGO’s
- Essential: BA/BSc level education in Finance, Accounting or related field. Desirable: MA/MSc level education
- Experience in and knowledge of developing / maintaining (Financial) Internal control and risk management concepts and systems;
- Experience with preparation of external audits is desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of international accounting standards for the NGO-sector; donor regulations and compliance issues related to management of donor funds;
- Knowledge of applicable local laws and regulations (income-, business taxes, etc.);
- Ability to compare data from a variety of sources for accuracy and completeness;
- Excellent oral and written language skills in English; Good oral and written language skills in French is desirable;
- Ability to work under pressure, determine work priorities and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment;
- Accurate, structured and precise.
- A dynamic position in an international environment;
- Contract for 40 hours/week for 1 year with possibility for extension;
- Training opportunities.
How to apply?
If you are interested, please apply with your motivation letter and your CV (both in English) on https://vacancy.spark-online.org/ until 9th of September 2019. Please, with application send to us two references (phone number and email) which we can contact in the selection process.
Please note that applications will start to be evaluated before the deadline as this is a position that needs to be filled in urgently, so it is highly recommended that you should apply as soon as possible. Also, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every applicant. There may be a delay between the deadline and the moment we contact selected applicants.
If you have not received a reply, we regret to inform that we have continued with other candidates.
SPARK develops higher education and entrepreneurship to empower young, ambitious people to lead their fragile and conflict-affected societies into prosperity. SPARK is a dynamic and growing, international not-for-profit development organisation with 80+ staff members, in more than 14 offices around the world. SPARK supports refugees in the Middle East by providing them with scholarships in universities and higher education institutions in the region. SPARK also supports young entrepreneurs in fragile states, to start or grow their own businesses.